Former contestants dust off their dancing shoes for the return of Dancing with the Shuswap Stars – Salmon Arm Observer
Dancing with the Shuswap Stars returns for 2022, as do several successful former contestants.
The annual fundraiser for Shuswap Hospice returns to the SASCU Recreation Center on Friday, November 18. Organizers say this year’s event will come with a few new features, including a change to the dance categories.
The Couples category will see rookie contestants learn a new dance for the competition. There will also be an All-Stars category that will bring back former contestants to compete and compete in a quest for the first All-Stars Championship trophy!
Competing in the Couples category are:
• Shawn and Shelley Desautels – Shawn owns Whizbang Boxing, Salmon Arm’s newest boxing gym and Shelley is a GIS instructor at Okanagan College and has her own business, Mighty Owl Mapping;
• Morgan and Tyler Stevenson – Morgan cares for animals as a veterinarian at the Shuswap Veterinary Clinic, while Tyler is a firefighter at the town of Salmon Arm;
• Brian Elidoros and Megan Friesen – Elidoros is the owner of Hillside Construction and Friesen is the operator of an Airbnb;
• Terry and Kim Kushniruk – Terry is a salesman at Lordco and Kim works downtown at Redd’s Threads Clothing.
Competing in the All-Stars category are:
• Phil McIntryre-Paul – Competitor in the 2018 event and former Dancing with the Shuswap Stars judge, McIntryre-Paul is well known for his work with the Shuswap Trail Alliance and will be dancing with City Dance co-owner Heather Stranks.
• Josh and Joanne Bickle – 2019 Winners of the Couples category with their Bachata, Josh and Joanna own and operate Integrity Roofing Corp. and Standard Roofing (2016) Ltd.
• Tracy Hughes and Orlando Robertson – Winners of the Pro-Am category in 2016, Hughes (also a former Dancing with the Shuswap Stars judge), does communications work for the Regional District of Columbia Shuswap and his dance partner Orlando leads a beekeeping and honey business in Grindrod.
• Missy MacKintosh – Makeup artist and entrepreneur, MacKintosh continues to expand her own MisMacK makeup line and retail business. After dancing with City Dance co-owner Jens Goerner in 2018, they will return to this year’s lineup.
• Jim and Marcia Beckner – After winning the Couples category in 2016, this couple has not slowed down their retirement, continuing to bike, ski and paddle, volunteer with the Good Food Box program and the Larch Hills Ski Club, as well as singing and acting.
Fundraising for Dancing with the Shuswap Stars 2022 is underway. You can support your favorite couple by purchasing star votes for $5, which will count as one vote towards a couple’s vote total. Advance voting will be combined with voting on the night of the gala to determine the winning dance couple.
To vote now, and for biographies and more detailed information, visit shuswapstars.ca.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter